February 21, 2009 by missmegany
Breakfast: 2 pieces of toast – Megan had PB&J (10p + 14p) Mac had pate & butter (10p + 9p), Mac had one cup of tea 4p and I had two, 8p
Then I realised I was still hungry, so I had another piece of toast with peanut butter 10p
During the day: Both of us had roasted cashew nuts (with a bit of oil and some salt on it). I had about 1/3 of the bowl and Mac ate the rest, so that’s 18p for me and 35p for Mac.
I also had two cookies during the day…. I wish they hadn’t been so accessible! 10p
Lunch: Mac had the leftover mushroom and leeks 25p
I had orzo with a carrot boiled and then added to some stock for a not really-soup soup. That was 8p
Dinner: 41p (27p + 14p)
Totals: Megan 1.98 (half a cookie to make it 2.00), Mac: 1.99
Root Vegetable Curry
4 Servings – total liars. We used way less vegetables than they requested, but this will definitely serve 6 – 27p
Served with 2c rice – 72p (5 portions 14p)
(I added 1 c. dried chickpeas – 34p)
½ tsp Black mustard seeds (I used regular mustard seeds – less than 1p)
4 T Ghee (we don’t have enough cupboard space for this. Veg oil works fine – 6p)
2 Onions, finely chopped (1 only used one 10p)
8 Garlic cloves, minced (I used about 5… but most were tiny. Oh well.) (37p)
2 tablespoons Finely chopped ginger root (about 4p)
3 Green chiles, chopped (I put in a pinch of red chili flakes)
3 Parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2×2-inch sticks, 1/4-inch thick (I used 2 – RIVERFORD)
3 Carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2×2-inch sticks, 1/4-inch thick (I used 1 – RIVERFORD)
3 Turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2×2-inch sticks, 1/4-inch thick (DIdn’t have any)
½ Rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2×2-inch sticks, 1/4-inch thick (I used 1/3 of one – RIVERFORD)
(I also added 460g of potato – 18p (new cheap potatoes)
1 T Coriander (3p)
1 T Garam masala (we just bought 400g for 1.79!!!! HOLY CRAP! I LOVE bulk spices in world food stores – 3p)
½ T Ground cumin (3p)
½ T Turmeric (1p)
½ T Cardamom (oops. I forgot)
½ tsp chili powder (a couple shakes – 1p)
½ tsp Fenugreek (1p – 2p)
1 c Chicken stock (1 tsp VEGETABLES stock 2p)
1 c Canned crushed tomatoes (I used half a can of organic ‘freaking expensive’ tomatoes)
Salt (oops. I forgot)
Cilantro leaves, for garnish (yeah, right)
- I know you’re supposed to soak beans and chickpeas overnight, but we didn’t. Cooked for about 2 hours or so in over 4 cups of water and they were fine!!
- Parboil vegetables for 10+ minutes until just-barely tender (If you want this ready quick-ish, parboil. Otherwise, cooking all in one pan for 1 1/2 hours will help meld flavours)
- Heat ghee in a large skillet with cover or Dutch oven until very hot (or just a regular big pan).
- Saute mustard seeds for about 5 seconds, until aromatic. (Maybe the pan wasn’t hot enough, but this wasn’t ready in 5 sec)
- Add onions, garlic, ginger root and chilies and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add root vegetables and saute 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in spices, (chickpeas if adding), vegetable stock and tomatoes and lightly season with salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours. (OR simmer about half an hour if you parboiled the vegetables first)
- Serve over white or brown rice, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
From Taste Show # 4713 Recipe by: David Rosengarten Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #532 by “Master Harper Gaellon” on Mar 21, 1997